Frequently asked questions for Imray digital charts
|Garmin GPS Connectivity Problems question:
I am having problems connecting my Garmin GPS device to the Imray IDC software.
If you are having trouble connecting your Garmin GPS device to the Imray IDC chart plotter, then you should check to see if the problem lies with your hardware set-up.
If your device links to your PC with a USB-to-USB connection (rather than a serial connection or via a serial to USB connection) then you may find Spanner useful.
This is a free program available from the Garmin website at: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=1627
It works by taking the proprietary Garmin data coming over the USB connection translating to standard NMEA data and forwarding it to virtual COM port, allowing programs such as IDC that understand this standard to interface with the Garmin device.
1. Follow the instructions to download and install Spanner.
2. When it is installed connect your Garmin GPS and switch it on, preferably somewhere where it can get a good GPS fix.
3. Run Spanner.
4. The program should then present you with a window with a Find button on it. Click on this.
5. It should find your GPS device and state the make and model of the device it has found.
6. It should also state which COM port it is forwarding the GPS data to. Make a note of this.
7. You can use the GPS Test application available from the All Programs -> Imray folder to double check that an NMEA signal is appearing on the given COM port.
8. Close GPS Test (leave Spanner open) and run IDC.
9. Look for the IDC Help manual available from the Help menu.
10. In the Tools section look under Devices and Comms Setup to find the instructions to configure IDC to use the data coming through the COM port created by Spanner.
There is more information on Wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanner_(Garmin_program)